Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

A Day in the Woods

I got to take a day off from Daddy duty yesterday and spend the day in the woods. Call it a kind of mental sanity day. With Mom and Jr. off to work and daycare, I was able to finish spray capping a dozen arrow shafts while I waited for Mike to arrive. Shortly, we headed out to public land to look for sheds, scout turkey, and shoot at targets of opportunity (roving/stumping) with the longbows. I think we covered a majority of the land and got to exercise our lungs on some of the steeper elevations above the river. We walked from 9am until 1:45pm. Who knows how many miles we covered once we decided to break for lunch. After lunch we headed back to my mountain home and took a few more hours of walking up that slope. We did manage to find one shed that had already started sun fading, probably dropped early this year. Luckily the squirrels and rodents had not chewed it yet. That evening we were both pooped and reveled in a successful day. My shooting could have been better, but I'll work on it. I broke about 7 of the cedar arrows I carried in, but none of the 3 douglas firs. That really shows the toughness of the two shafts in comparison. Mike's new bow was working well for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment