Search This Blog

Monday, April 1, 2013

The Bowhunter's Kit

Like many, Papa Bear holds a place of reverence in my heart. I grew up idolizing the man in the fedora who was the face of Bear Archery. Later when I learned more and read Fred Bear’s Field Notes and watched his movies I became amazed. He was such an innovator and inventor as well as promoter of the sport. To this day I prefer the Razorhead bleeder blades on my eclipse heads for whitetail deer. I always wanted a Bear Takedown and was able to get a new one a few years ago when Bear started to make them again in 2011. The one item in the old Bear catalogs that interested this practical hunter the most was the Bear Bowhunter’s Kit. Since learning to file sharpen my broadheads I wanted a sheath like Fred’s to contain the file and knife together for field sharpening as well as some other essentials. It just made sense. Finally I was able to locate a decently priced reproduction for hunting. After all, I was not going to shell out $300 for a vintage collector’s item to destroy on my hunts. I wanted one of these so badly I made my own out of one of my old Concoran military boots! I have hunted with this homemade version for 5 years now and carried it on hunts in 3 Western states. This new reproduction by Greg Merckx and available through www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com has a little more polish to it than my rough around the edges version. Made in Michigan ta’boot! I was able to buy just the sheath at a reasonable price and I could not be happier. I am also able to fill the sheath with my own customized items: My old file (partial to the larger wood handle), Glue stick, Diamond hone, Pencil for completing license, Hunting License, Zip ties for tags & field dressing, Extra eclipse with bear bleeders, Knife, And P38 can opener (kept it in there but may put something else in that pocket?). With the extra bow string I keep in my Hill quiver, I can just grab my bow, quiver, and knife kit and be ready to hunt. Gotta love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment