Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2013

Schulz Longbow "Sagittarius"


Since evolving my archery interests toward the study of Howard Hill and his style of shooting, I started to hear of the reputation for John Schulz's bows. I was aware he was a bowyer at Howard Hill Archery from 1968 to 1974 before starting out his own business making the American Longbow. I watched his "Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill" video thousands of times. Around this time I began to hear of his reputation as a bowyer on the internet forums. No one had anything bad to say about his bows. I was eventually able to get a copy of the book "Straight Shooting", and loved his no nonsense hard work ethic and commitment to the Hill style of shooting and bow making.


When I saw this bow for sale I just had to have it. It called to me.

 
The bow is a Howard Hill Tembo by John Schulz and custom made for David Paul who named it "Sagittarius". The bow was quite a looker and had references to Hill, Schulz, and Swinehart! How could I go wrong!? It did not help that I was a Sagittarius also.

 

Once I received the bow complete with a treebark bow sleeve, I was just in awe of the attention to detail. The bow was extremely light with a slim deep dished handle. Brown glass back and belly with antler overlays was super classy. The limb profile has about 1 & 1/4 inches of backset.

The bow had not a scratch on it, and if it wasn't for the obviously used handle wrap you might think it was brand new and not 40 years old!

 

I swapped out the skinny FF string with large cat whiskers for a small looped dacron B50 string and put the first few arrows out of her. I had to see what all the hype was about.

I was literally amazed at the smoothness, speed, and quietness. Mr. Schulz definitely knew what he was doing and learned much from Mr. Hill.

 

This will be my bow from now on....and we will experience much togetherness in the woods and on the range. I am not one to hand a bow on the wall......it will be used and there will be much game bagged with her in the future!

 

Enjoy the pictures

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment