Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

My Broken Toe Deer

Well after my radiology appointment and xray confirmation of a broken little toe, OUCH! I decided to not completely waste a sick day and headed out to the woods.  I walked very slow and sat a lot LOL.

I settled for a sit up high but the wind was not good.  At sunset I started down the hill.  The squirrels were going nuts with the rain coming. 

It was starting to drizzle and starting to get dark so I was moseying down the hill and stopping to listen after a few steps.  Going slow because of the toe but heading out.  As I reached the crest of a drop off I head footfalls coming up the hill toward me.  Here comes this spike….I had a good sized tree about 10 feet in front of me and he was heading directly for me.  I thought for a minute he may end up too  close and head on, but he took a right and stepped in the clear and stopped.  He had is left foot back to I tried to avoid it and shot all little farther back than I wanted….and lower than I wanted.  Watched him run with my arrow up to the fletch.  He went about 20 yards and stopped where I could not see behind 2 big trees.  The I saw a piece of a white tail and then nothing. 

So here it is getting dark, starting to rain…coyotes are howling all over the place.  Not sure about the hit really though I knew it was fatal at some point. 

I decided to text Mike and go immediately after it.  I went right toward where I saw it last going very slowly.  After a few steps I hear crashing far off in the laurel…..wrong decision I thought….dang!  Just jumped him?  Then as I eased out around the trees I see him bedded there with his tongue hanging out…

After a few more minutes I watched his head go down for good....10 minutes total and 20 yard run.

Nicked the bottom of the heart.

4th deer of the year so far with my Sunset Hill...Did I mention I love this bow!

Ace standard, Cedar Arrow, no camo, from the ground. 

Trophy to me!  Yum!

Coffee Table attack!



No comments:

Post a Comment