Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Back Quiver Bump - and Proper Positioning

I hear a common complaint from folks that say they are not flexible enough to reach back and secure their arrow nock when using a back quiver.  There is a technique to using the quiver that may help, I call "the back quiver bump".

First, ensure you have a properly fitted and designed back quiver.  See my previous article in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine titled Hunting with the back quiver.

Using 33 inch long arrows (35 inches with broadheads) and a narrow quiver with a narrow opening is a sure fire recipe for making it hard to withdraw arrows.

For the most comfort cut your arrows to the shortest possible length, use 2 blade broadheads instead of 3 or 4 blades, and stick with blunts instead of big wide judos.   Those other things can work (I've done them all), but it will be more difficult.

Positioning:

I adjust the hang of the quiver so it is more horizontal than commonly seen in other types of quivers.  The reason for this is multi-faceted.    Having the arrows lower aids in easier retrieval and securing of the nock.  I like the arrows to be below the level of my shoulder, not up by the ear.  Reaching up and behind is harder for those that are less flexible.  Reaching to the side is not as challenging for most.

Here is how our quivers hang:

Yours Truly


Nate Steen


John Schulz


Howard Hill 

Having the arrows protruding this way also minimizes contact with brush while moving through the woods quietly  It also keeps the arrows in more of a horizontal and stacked position limiting arrow movement inside of the quiver. 

Another benefit of this positioning, is to put the bottom of the quiver closer to my bow arm elbow.  this way one can bump the quiver backwards with the elbow or hand fairly easily.

Pushing the bottom of the quiver back in this way, should make it slide around to the point that the arrow nocks can be in front of the plane of your chest if needed.

Bump with elbow:


Bump with Hand:


Nocks can be past the plane of the chest in this way:


The quiver should be able to slide.  I go so far as to put the smooth finish side of my strap towards my body.  Here is an old American Leathers shot saying why:



I submit that if you can touch your shoulder, you should be able to use a back quiver with ease once you master the techniques. The quiver can become a vital part of your hunting system like it has for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment