Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Maryland Bear Hunting with the Longbow - 2019


This year found my small group of friends with 2 bear tags.  I drew my second tag after the 2015 season, and Brent drew his first.  My good friend Dan Breen from NJ had to cancel at the last minute, so I would be the only one hunting completely with traditional archery equipment. 

Some home maintenance problems kept me from hunting until Tuesday afternoon, when I made my way to the campsite in Allegheny County.  I had about 1 hour before the rains started:


Everything was set up except the awning and tie downs when the rains unloaded.  Thanks goodness I had enough dry wood and the wall tent woodstove quickly dried me out once I could relax.


That evening the rains let up and I decided to head out on the first hunt around camp. 

I immediately got into deer, and with my longbow in hand could shoot deer or bear. 
I was standing there enjoying the quietness and fall colors when I heard some grunting and scuffling noises on the hilltop above me.  I decided to try something that has never (ok, rarely) worked for me.  I grunted back softly. 

Immediately a doe came over the ridge and stared down at me from about 60 yards.  She was looking hard bobbing her head, stomping her feet, but I never moved.  After a few minutes she gave a half hearted blow and took 2 bounds to my right stopping again.

I still never moved.  Eventually, after still not getting any satisfaction determining what was down there, she started walking back to her left.  I took this opportunity to shift into a shooting position uphill should one present.
She continued, and eventually getting about 45 yards.  Now, i am getting prepared to take the first shot opportunity I have. 

Suddenly, she caught my scent and really blew out of there this time. Crashing and blowing hard 4 or 5 times as she went over the ridge and away.  Oh well.  Pretty close call. 
 


After, a while everyone arrived in camp.  We hunted a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) about 45 minutes away and I gt into my first good bear sign.  A ridge top covered in old and new poop, and complete with a bear den.  Lots of hickory and oak acorns.

I hunted that area for the next 2 days without any luck.

I even tried a little predator calling one morning downwind of the ridge. 

At camp we all enjoyed ourselves.  I had a nice pork shoulder roasted on my new fire iron set one evening.  Super good! 



 
I had about 3 more stalking opportunities at does, but no real good shot opportunities presented themselves.  A few arrows were also lost on squirrels. 
 
Soon we found the week over and no bears were even spotted by the entire camp.
I can say I did out out an honest effort.  No bait piles or blinds.  No guides or high fences. No gun hunting for me, and it didn't prevent any kills. Did a lot of bow shooting and had a good time with buds.   Maryland makes it hard on the bear hunter, especially the traditional archer.


Now back home to focus again on whitetails.

No comments:

Post a Comment