Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2023

Early Season Success

I rarely end up with a deer on my first hunt of the season, but this year it all just came together. I only had a few hours to play because my wife had some social engagements with friends so I stayed close to home.  It was close to 8am and already around 70 degrees as I was nestled into a brush blind.  It was half pit and half brush and I had to stand to see over the front cover.  I was leaned back against the back wall when a doe with 2 spotted fawns came by.  I did not want to shoot mama with two fawns so young and dependent so I watched for a while as they fed around me.  This is the conditions of early season hunting.  The thermacell waft smoke and I was contented to watch the show.

Then they perked up and I noticed another form coming from the timber.  It was another mature doe.  This one had no spotted fawns in tow and sported a grey coat as she was in the midst of changing into her winter attire.   

Now this was looking up.  She came on in facing me, then after an eternity was broadside.  There was a problem though as the two other fawns were behind the doe.  Ugh, maybe this was not meant to be.  Watching for another eternity, I finally had my opportunity.  I drew, picked a spot and watched in horror as my arrow sailed over the doe's back!  No!

Well now everything was alerted and looking directly at me.  I froze.  After some time I decided to try to get my follow on arrow on the string which I was successful at, but the deer were really spooked.  They were there though.  I surprised myself again about the unobtrusiveness of the Hill Style longbows twang. 

For what seemed like 2 eternities we all froze.  Finally one by the one the two fawns went back to nibbling the browse, then the mama.  Finally my grey gal went back to feeding.  Eventually she fed broadside once more and I successfully drew and burned a deep hole.  Really bearing down, I let fly and saw a good hit.  Maybe 2 inches higher than I wanted and the arrow penetration seemed shallow, though I knew with that angle it probably hit the far shoulder / leg.

I sat down and relaxed listening after the crashing ceased.  Maybe 10 minutes later I thought I heard thrashing but the mind can play tricks. 

After my self imposed 45 minute wait, I started out.  

There she was a scant 60 or so yards from the shot.  It was a good double lung shot with the 190 grain ribtek.  I was impressed with the holes.

By the time I got her back at the house I was a sweaty  mess.  She weighed 95 pounds dressed out.  I got to work processing and getting her quartered and into my meat refrigerator.  I'll be doing some canning again!  It is a great start to the year.






No comments:

Post a Comment