Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

101811 hunt

So I left work at noon and went out to the “R” property for a last crack at a bow deer before the gun hunters invade the woods Thursday.  I knew today would be a wash out with rain. 

There was a doe in the top field edge when I walked up the main trail toward the woods.  I froze but she had already seen me and after a few minutes she bolted back up the hill.

I dragged that tarsal gland from last years buck down the top trail and cut up the hill setting up in the same area I saw the buck last time but from the downwind side this time.  I found a nice tree with two big vines as concealment from the front and walked past my stand on the trail and posted the tarsal gland up in a good shooting spot about 12 yards away. 

Everything looked great!  Wind was keeping the skeeters down, the leaves were raining down constant, and it was very pretty.  Nothing moved except for chipmunks until at about 4:30pm I saw two coyotes moving my way.  The lead yote was a typical grey one, the second one which was traveling about 30 yards back from the first was a brown color much like a deer.   They were passing about 60 yards out and downhill.  I squealed like a rabbit with my mouth trying to get their attention.  Finally the brown one stopped and looked back toward me.  I squealed again and it started up the hill toward me!  I thought maybe.  Then it lost interest and looked back at the first yote and kept moving away.  I thought they might catch my scent drag trail and come back but no deal.  That was all I saw until I left.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment