Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

rainy day project for ML season

I went home at lunch and shot my bow in the basement for a while as I was thinking about a recent discussion concerning the Colt Walker pistol I planned to hunt with Sat. am for my first day of Muzzle loader season here in MD.  You see, the hefty walker at 4.5 pounds pulls down my pants with a belt holster. 

I had been tossing around the idea of buying this bandolero style holster from the Sportman's Guide, but at $109 plus shipping , and the fact that they were on backorder, had delayed me.  Anyway, I was thinking.....Why not build one??

 

So I got out this ol'hide I had home tanned using the Ivory Soap method, and set to work with a sharpie and Straight edge to make straps.


holster1019003.jpg

I made them 2.5 inches wide becasue deer hide is not very thick, and used my trusty Buck knife to cut out the straps:




Now all I need to do is use the hole punch, leather lace, and do some trimming to make my shoulder strap to fit the holster I already had.



I'll try to get it assembled after work tonight and post up some pics tomorrow...maybe even have time to dye it darker before Sat. morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment