Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Birthday weekend Hunts

120311 
Since Brent cancelled on me Saturday, I decided to hunt my backyard feeder with the bow rather than go face the throngs of FA hunters at Raudy on my own.  I saw nothing.  By 10am was busy improving my blind.  I took the leaf blower and made a clear path to the blind to sneak into it in a position the deer at the feeder cannot see my approach.  I also took a hex of old desert camo netting and made a roof on it for some interior shadow.  I added brush and branches and improved it quite a bit. 

120511
I took off on Monday, my 38th Birthday, in order get some time in and do some rifle hunting without the crowds.  As I was getting set up to walk in, a truck pulled up with another hunter.  So much for that plan.  I took my climber and set up in Brent’s tree at the hilltop.  It was cloudy and breezy but saw nothing.  I was using the old 8mm Mauser with iron sights.  I went home and ate some lunch and then returned.  The other hunter was still there…somewhere…  I decided to stay on the ground this time and I found a couple well used deer trails and bedding areas.  Spotted no deer however and hunted until dark.   The temps were crazy and I spotted insects and bats flying around at dusk!  This morning I also found a tick embedded in my leg.  This is December folks!  Crazy!!!

I can really see an impact in deer movement now that the gun season is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment