Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Water Hole Project

The mountain property I currently hunt on does not have any water source.  In fact, there is not a creek for some distance.  I had good luck hunting on a similar mountain side a while back above a small pond.  The rutting bucks would hit this pond to get a drink when they were taking a break from chasing does.  This gave me an idea for a project.

I decided to create mt own water hole.  Strategically placed in a "corner"thicket where it might get hit by buck traffic during the rut, and well hidden by thick vines and brush from other hunters, I dug a pit.  I used a cut in half 55 gallon plastic drum as my small pond, and dug it in the mountainside flush with the surrounding soil.  Inside I placed a bag of playground sand so the deer have a footing as they like to wade in and drink. 




I added a coat of brown oil based paint and camouflaged my soil tailings with leaves and twigs.

I then began to carry buckets of water up the hill and fill'er up.


 
There are several good trees to place stands in this location....as well as some deadfall for ground blinds.  The pond in inside some deadfall and vines and there is only one way in and out. 
 
With the thing full, I plan to place a camera and see if the deer are using it.
 
On my last bucket brigade up the hill I chased 3 small velvet bucks from the area.  I am not sure it will work, but it was better than watching television.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment