Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Arrow Selfie Techniques for the Bowhunter

This week Traditional Bowhunter Magazine put out a "tip of the Week" by John Grizzle titled Arrow Adapted for Self-Photos.

Several years ago I made a gadget to do the same thing with a binder clip and bolt that screwed into the camera's tripod mount.



You can see my camera clipped to the arrow in the shadow of this photo:



Now, with the advent of high quality cell phone cameras, I find it much easier to just carry my phone and take selfie photos using a simple rubber band.

A see a lot of pictures of folks that have rubber bands stretched on the hood of their bow quivers, a practice made popular by Fred Eichler to keep adequate string clearance with bulky sleeves, now there is another use for them.  I keep a few heavy duty rubber bands on my quiver string pouch, but it is so I can connect my phone to my arrow in order to get that hero picture.


It is quite an easy concept:

1. Stick your arrow in the ground

2. Put the arrow through the circle of your rubber band down to below the fletching

3. Place your phone against the arrow with the lens facing out (the fletching will help keep it in place and from rotating)

4. Bring the rubber band back over the arrow nock and adjust the angle using the screen.

5. Set the timer and your done!






I just love the simplicity of this system.


3 comments:

  1. That is just slick. Very cool and simple. Rubber bands are going in my Hill Quiver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea with the cell phone and arrow.

    ReplyDelete