Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Long Range Practice and Broadhead Tuning

One of the most valuable types of bowhunting practice in my opinion is shooting at distance with broadheads.

This practice method accomplishes and reinforces numerous positive aspects in your form, your equipment, and your confidence.

I have heard some grumbles at 3D shoots from certain individuals that the shot distances on some courses are unethical.  Why practice at those ranges if I never intend to take a shot at those ranges?



Well, let me tell you, life is not clean and perfect and sometimes things happen in the woods and it is best to be prepared.  You can see my experience when I found out first hand the value from long range practice:

The Long Shot Buck

I find the best way to accomplish this type of practice is against a hill and shooting into dirt or sand.  My house sits on a hill and this allows me to shoot in my side yard.  Once and a while, I will hit a rock and destroy a broadhead (BH), but I find enough value  in this type of practice that this loss is acceptable.  I keep a few of each type and weight broadhead reserved for dirt practice.  You will quickly learn which broadheads are the most durable.


 Long range practice will  do wonders for improving your form. You will quickly see the value in a stable bow arm, good release, and consistent anchor.  If you cut your BH arrows to your draw length like I do, you can use your BH touching your finger just like a clicker to check constant draw length.


Once you have your basic tuning accomplished, test your equipment by shooting your broadhead hunting set-up at distance.  By distance I mean at least your point on range (usually about 40-55 yards for most archers shooting split finger).

This accomplishes several things.  First of all you have the opportunity to see your arrow flight better.  More time in flight to notice any wobble or kick of the arrow.

Also, you can do some broadhead planing tuning of your hunting set-up.  If your arrows are grouping to the right of the target (right hand shooter), your arrow may be too weak.  If a majority of the shots are impacting left, your set-up may be too stiff.  Adjust point weights and see if you notice a correction.



The last great result of all this long range practice is confidence.  Shooting at distance will make you a more confident archer, make you more confident in your hunting equipment, and when that animal presents itself you will not doubt your ability or gear. 



1 comment:

  1. "cut your BH arrows to your draw length like I do, you can use your BH touching your finger just like a clicker to check constant draw length."

    Great advice. I have just started doing this using my longbow.

    ReplyDelete