Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Back Quiver and Possibles Bag (or Haversack) - An Alternative to the Backpack

When I need to carry more gear, or there is a possibility I may need to spend the night outdoors in an emergency, I carry a large possibles bag and a wide belt much like the old mountain man might carry.

Some folks state they do not use a back quiver for hunting because they carry a lot of gear in a backpack while hunting.

My first question is "Do you really need that much gear"?  That is a introspective question and downsizing my hunting gear has led to greater satisfaction in my personal hunting experiences.

See my thoughts on my journey on my  "Unencumbered" post.

I usually find I can carry enough gear for survival and a few needed comforts without a backpack full of stuff.

When I do make a backcountry wilderness trip where a pack is required for camp, I simply strap my quiver to the pack and go.  Stalking with a full pack is not practical anyway, and I can still reach back and get an arrow.


Same type of lashing when hunting with a treestand on my back.


In hunting however, I find the back quiver an essential piece of gear and part of my "system." 

The haversack can be a good option to carry more stuff, and I have several back quiver hunting companions that use one.

Here is a picture of Idaho bowhunter and Bowyer Nate Steen of Sunset Hill bows with a Duluth bag he prefers, embarking on a elk day hunt:




 I find the extra strap crossing my torso and occasionally pinching my neck bothersome, so I have chosen the Mountain Man type of possibles bag attached to a big wide leather belt instead of a type with a shoulder strap.  The wide leather belt is the secret and helps carry the weight without pulling down.  This is the type worn by Mountain Men to carry large flintlock pistols, or buccaneers with heavy swords.

I settled on a large possibles belt bag from Crazy Crow Trading Post,   along with a 3 inch wide Woodsman Belt.  After treating and waterproofing them with bear grease, it was a nice chocolate color. 

I hang my GPS and fighting knife on there for wilderness elk hunts:  





Here is an early season turkey hunt and I have a collapsible hen decoy and box call in the bag:


The combination is very user friendly and I can carry enough for an emergency night out in the woods, usually a military poncho with cordage, my water filtration unit, and fire starting with first aid kit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment