Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Refinements to a Hunting Back Quiver

There are several small refinements I have made to my back quiver for hunting that are worth sharing.

Just under the seam about a foot apart, I have made some holes with a drill and inserted some leather lace to secure an extra clothing layer, or rain poncho, as needed.  This position does not affect the balance of the quiver and is very convenient.

You can also see, I keep a small skinning knife tied to the string pouch.  This is a small backup knife and is always there if I need it.

The rubber bands are there for use as a cell phone camera mount you can learn more about from my post "Arrow Selfie Techniques for the Bowhunter"

 

You can also secure a squirrel or small game animal on there if necessary:


On the quiver strap connections, I have also added some leather lacing threaded through the ties.  This allow me to lash the quiver to a treestand, seat, or backpack if necessary.






I also carry a 6 inch mill file in the quiver to keep my heads sharp.  I simply insert this file between the lacing "X" that connects the top strap.

The other leather lacing is there to separate my blunt arrows from broadheads.


The wooden handle I have on the back of the file keeps it from sliding all the way through, and allows me to protect my hand from the tang which I have sharpened to a chisel point.



Batoning the file end with a piece of deadfall, and using the chisel pointed tang end, this file can now be used to remove wood from around a tree struck broadhead.

Inside the bottom of the quiver I have a small oval cutout of carpet.  This helps protect the quiver bottom from broadheads, and I can put stuff in between like a game tag or bread bag and baby bottle liners to keep my fletching dry in a heavy rain squall.


I also have flipped the strap over on the quiver so the smooth finish side of the leather is close to the body.  This helps me slip the quiver under my arm when I need to adjust it smoothly to go under brush.


See my blog on Hunting with the Back Quiver for even more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment