Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Chris's Sat. afternoon bowhunt 012112

Did Swan Harbor in the PM after the snowfall. Went in about 2:00pm - me, Dave and Tom. Tom went South to the river edge straight back, Dave went West and to the North edge of the county field corner, I went back to the West and South at the South end of the field, to cover that route into the woods. Tom got first action, I scared a pair of deer in his direction and had a single one walk by within range but unfortunately his bow was still on the ground! I saw probably three or four sets of tracks that were from early that morning while it was still snowing and probably two or three sets that took place since the end of the snow. Just general meandering feeding tracks. I got to the rear corner and wasn’t more than about ½ hour and a four wheeler with three you guys (20’s) went down the trail to the point where we know the boat is. I picked up and moved East to the center of the strip along the riverbank – to get further away from them and possibly catch anything moving from them. I had a deer walk up within 30 yards of me, but behind me back in the thick stuff, it eventually moved off unseen. ( I was in snowcamo on the ground). Eventually the three guys unloaded on a flock of geese, I think they took the boat over to the marsh strip and then sky busted anything flying over (strictly illegal – no blind site). Tom reports that the birds were pretty darn high and he didn’t see anything go down. Around Sunset Tom saw about 5 deer feeding around the marsh point where we normally kick them out, but they hung there and did not enter the woods ( I think they knew we were in and were waiting for dark). Dave says he had two come in from the East, coming across from the Soccer field but that they didn’t make it to him until he was on his way down out of the tree. He got to hear them run off. Still pretty good population roaming the area. Just a matter of good wind and luck to get in front of one. Our odds do seem much better when more than one of us is out. A couple of good sets of tracks, probably from the Spikes and Forkys. That be it for the report! Congrats to Tom, now an officer of the company and with an extra week of vaca ! We’re wondering if that will get him out to Colorado this year….

No comments:

Post a Comment