Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chris's woes continue

Got a shot on a nice doe on Saturday evening. Came out of the rectangle area with two yearlings following. Gave me the head bob then dismissed me and came on. Stopped even with me at about 25-30 yards. Similar situation to my last one, hit a little to far back on a 30 yard shot , standing still. Complete pass through and sticking in the ground, red blood from top to bottom complete, but dark red. No slime , no smell, was clearly a liver hit with a three blade woodsman elite head – very sharp. Gave it about an hour, went back to the truck, dropped gear, met Tom and then we went back on the trail. I thought I had heard it possibly go down. Took us another hour to find my tree in the dark, that area is really level and confusing. Found the spot, put Tom on the trail and I went ahead to where I heard some ruckus following the shot. Found the trail there and called Tom down. We got about 75 yards of trail but then lost it at a point where it went between two trees and we had spray on both trees. Hung up a hat and came back at dawn. Got a general direction track after that last spot found where it had stopped and stood for a minute or two and dropped a small puddle, then no more trail. Searched the surrounding areas from 7-11am with no luck, covered miles and the nastiest brush I could find. Found one small smear on a vine down near the bowl (about 150 yards from the last sign), which when I talked to Tom turned out to be where he had bumped one on his way out, before knowing I had shot one. Looks like it headed his way and then who knows after bumping into him though it sounded like it went back West. I still searched all the areas I would have and had that info while I was out there. I thought I would have a consistent trail with the pass through but it really didn’t give much. Very disappointed. I’m thick headed but I think its finally getting through that I need an aiming aid. I can hit a playing card at that distance (25-30 yards) on most shots but I still have trouble on a deer – getting down to a small focus. I am shooting the whole chest and of course missing by just a little. I’ve got to take these marginal shots and get into the chest with them. Fear of the shoulder blade is keeping me to far back. I am going to go back to a sight pin, it always made it so much easier to get on a small point when I had to use the pin. The bow is still efficient and fast enough it’s just getting the focus on a small point that I keep blowing. I think one pin set at about 27 yards is what I need to get out of this marginal territory. On a good note the population in there is still thick and heavy, found huge trails, good size tracks, lots of fresh poop. Prior to the shot on the doe had 4 does and a spike come in to about 100 yards downwind of me at about 4:15pm but they smelled me and reversed course back by Tom. In total we counted 12 different deer that we are sure of. Thinking about taking some time for a Tuesday afternoon hunt, will be working at Aberdeen and can get out early. Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment