Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Columbus Day Bowhunt

Brent and I headed out to R farm early Monday. It was the first cold morning. No real frost but I was glad I had my wool on. There was a constant cold breeze. I ducked down over the hill on the way through the top field and set up in a place that watches that trail as well as a crossing to a large poplar tree that used to be the central tree of the field before it became overgrown. At about 8:30 I spotted a 3 point with about 14 inches of spread was about 35 yards downhill of me. I could have risked a shot at one point, but that was not the buck I wanted to fill my tag this early in the year. It passed by going toward beds and cover. I had a kestrel that was chasing a blue jay around, come back in to my movement and dive bomb me a few times. It was really curious and let me take a couple pics.
Around 9:30 a 6 point came from the same general direction of the 3 point. It has a unique rack. It was oval in shape. Tall, with the antler almost touching and only about 5 inches of spread. It went on a path just perfectly by my right side toward the crossing. It paused about 10 yards to my left and proceeded to lick it’s off side. Never a more perfect shot opportunity! I let him go and pulled out the camera again. He crossed right where I had planned him to.
Around noon, I saw another yearling doe (finally) still sporting it’s summer brown. It never came closer than 60 or 70 yards away. Soon after that the rains chased us from our trees. I spent the evening putting a hang on stand in my backyard. I can’t say those things are easy to install or get into. Not the most re-assuring stand in terms of safety I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment