Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Squirrel temptations

How many times have you been waiting for the big buck to come by and had squirrels unaware of your presence in easy bow range? How many times have you fumbled for your practice arrow only to have the fuzzy critter bounce away? Well, I will now be tempted to launch one of my good broadheads at the beasties! I thawed this nice sized fox squirrel I shot with the Howard Hill bow a couple weeks back. My parents had brought me a rabbit, so I decided to have a little woodland fricassee.
I quartered both and placed them in a large stock pot with chicken broth, salt, pepper, onion powder, rosemary, and a bay leaf. I boiled them for 30 minutes, removed the parts and drained. I created a mixture of italian breadcrumbs, flour, and italian seasoning. I dusted each part and placed them on a spray oiled cookie sheet. I broiled them in the oven turning once as they browned about 12 minutes per side.
Was it good? well, the pile of bones in this photo should tell you!
I believe next time I will make a little gravy out of the leftover stock. The good thing about the traditional bow is that I can just usually resharpen that broadhead easily after a miss. I usually carry lots of ammo in the large back quiver. You better believe I will be shooting at them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment