Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and a new Big-Five Grip

I managed to hunt all day on Saturday and not see a deer. Lots of field scrapes that were fresh but no luck otherwise. No other hunters spotted either so that was refreshing and it was a pretty day. Then the Hurricane hit. I was sent home from work by 11:30. By 4pm my power went out. It is still out. I lost a red oak, a poplar, and a maple in the front woods at my house, but everything else was OK. Lots of trees down in the rest of the neighborhood though, and several over the power lines. It will be some time before power is restored. I was able to operate pretty much as usual with the help of some head lamps, candles, and an oil lamp. The oil lamp rocked. Real efficient on fuel too. I will pick up a couple more and some reserve fuel for my emergency kit in the future. My Hill Big-Five needed a new grip so I took some of the buckskin I tanned, via the ivory soap method, and cut out the pattern. Since I was using a deer that I had shot, I wanted to be as authentic as possible so I twisted up some deer back sinew into lacing. This was the hardest part of the operation. I misted the skin with water to get it a little moist, and then stretched it over the handle and laced. It came out pretty well I think. I used some poly to waterproof the sinew. This is my go to bow right now so I am hopeful it may bring some mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment