Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2022

2022 Colorado Elk Odyssey - C1 EP 2

As we unloaded our gear and started to assemble our packs I noticed that Chris was starting to struggle attaching gear to his already bloated pack.  I knew he was set on hauling up the large welded aluminum frame Waldrop pack seat I got him for Christmas last year.  It was heavy and I advised against it, but he was dead set on it.  I notice also he had the tenkara rod in a hard case zip tied to the frame of his pack, and the bulging vest he carried as a daypack.  I elicited Dave to help me convince him to rethink some of his accessories, and he came over and lifted the pack a few inches.  "Oh my God!", he exclaimed as he struggled to get it up off the ground.  Chris sheepishly relented and started to unpack a few items leaving his 45 caliber side arm, tenkara case, "extra" clothing and rain gear in the truck.  Still the Pack seat had to come along and he left his trekking poles instead.


 

I was still uneasy as he hoisted up his load and we set out towards the trail head.  The pack was severely top heavy and tall as he had his daypack/vest attached to the back of the chair which was attached high on the pack.


 

 

Neil looks over at Chris and the look his face says it all...you've got to be kidding!  

 


As we walked by the rows of vehicles I could not help but think of a scene from the movie Platoon in my head....."I think I've made a big mistake coming here".


 

As we lumbered onto the trail and headed across a high banked reservoir spreading out on personal paces, I snapped this photo showing a beam of light from the heavens seemingly illuminating Neil as he poled along.  Could this be a sign?  Was he destined for great elk success!?


As the trail soon became narrow and the grade started to increase, it became apparent that Chris would begin to suffer much on this hike in.  The big question would be would he make it without burying a cache of gear along the trail?  We had already joked that one of his nicknames was "the squirrel" because seemingly every year he needs to bury a pile of equipment for the walk out.  I tried to stifle a chuckle as a curious group of three through hikers past us on the trail when I could see the side eye at Chris's burden.  


Here is a view of the elevation we needed to get up on top of, as Chris and gang head toward adventure and glory.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment