Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

2022 Colorado Elk Odyssey - C2 EP 2

 ...Frozen and at the ready my mind focused on the animal 30 yards to my front.  Like a cold wet rag slapped across my face I realized that I was looking at the rear end of a mulie doe.  Easing my string hand down I gently teased out the phone and snap a photo. 


A second deer busted from cover unseen from my left and I felt good about at least creeping within bow range of a few deer, but still uneasy about my prospects of an elk since I was headed off by the other hunters.  

Continuing to side hill, I find myself back at the entrance to the drainage where the steep slope ends in a large lake.  Feeling the increasing heat, and knowing I did not carry any water, I headed down towards the lake shore. Getting closer, I see smoke and hear voices from an unseen camp down at the lake head. Oh well, at least I'll go get a drink.  At waters edge I remove the burdens of my quiver and daypack. unzip the small pouch that carries my sawyer water filter and 16 oz bottle. repeating the filling and drinking twice, I sat back and enjoyed the views.  

 



Packing up, I had to side hill by the camp I had heard, and continue to hear.  The group was talking and cavorting so loudly I thought I was stumbling right on top of their camp despite the fact they were set up in a little copse of trees at the valley entrance.  Based on their dropping "F-bombs" constantly and being so loud, I decided to avoid them like the plague.  Anyway, I heard enough when one of them exclaimed, "I saw a spike and now I can die happy, I'm done".  

Putting some distance between us I pondered the information gathered on the morning hunt.  That Y-drainage was being hit hard on all sides and a non-shootable spike seemed to be the lone elk inhabitant. I could mark that area off. Now back to camp to see how the others fared.

When I got back to camp I was greeted by Chris sitting on his big waldrop seat and carrying a bucket of fresh water from the lake.  If my nose wasn't crusty and so damn dry from the combined forces of the air and altitude I probably would have blew snot across the meadow by the sight of him with his military "rec-specs" glasses.  He certainly can benefit from safety glasses! 



Anyway, the report from Chris (hunted to the East) and Neil (hunted to the North) was similar.  No fresh elk sign.  

We took the afternoon to rest, eat lunch, get water, and regroup.  The altitude was starting to take a toll on me in the form of a severe migraine.  I forced down water, had another cup of coffee and tried to take a short nap after setting up the tipi.  Since it was dry and the forecast was fair I didn't bother setting up the stove.


Rummaging through my pack I found my first aid kit but was dismayed to find out I no longer had any ibuprofen, advil, or tylenol in there.  Only hard core pain killers in case of broken bones or sprains. Desperate, I found my small flask of Bulleit bourbon I was reserving for a toast over a dead elk.  A few hits off that flask and I was feeling much better and ready for the evening hunt.

I decided on an area to explore near another lake, commanded by a interesting rock formation we dubbed "The Citadel" as it looked like a fortress on high.  

 


This hunt was also uneventful, except for a brief hike around this more popular lake.  There were numerous recently used hiker camps and I spent a little time casting a fly from my Tenkara rod to no avail.  I was tempted to take a little refreshing skinny dip, but suspected there were some hikers around.  Anyway, I was here to hunt, so I headed out and spent until dark scouting several of drainages below the lake.  

 



I was back at the camp with no sign of elk to report.  Chris and Neil both had encounters with moose, but neither saw any fresh elk sign either. Hmmm. Tomorrow is another day.





1 comment: