Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2022

2022 Colorado Elk Odyssey - C3 EP 1

The trip back out was still arduous, but we made much quicker time.  We passed several groups of through hikers heading in to the lakes we just left behind.  This valley was very busy.  

It amazed us how the temperatures were in the 90's during the day, yet we could still see dirty snow/ice up high on the ridges.  The snows must be very heavy in the winter.

 


Laboring back down towards the vehicle we were greeted by the sight of vehicles as far as the you could see!  We realized this trailhead served another geological feature that was popular with the hikers...and it was a 3-day Holiday weekend, but we did not expect this many guests!  Now there was no one second guessing our decision to regroup elsewhere.  There were about ten vehicles when we arrived, now there were upwards of fifty. 



We headed for the small gas station back in "town" where we could get a signal and download some additional maps, talk to some other hunters, get in some hot fresh pizza and pick up some beer.  The store sold two kinds of beer... an 18 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon or a 36 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.  So we went with the 18 pack and headed to a campground to set up a base of operations to work from.  We were now car camping and could focus on finding elk.  We set up camp and Neil scoured the newly downloaded topo maps as we formed a plan. 

 


We spent that evening driving around scouting drainages in the area for a possible morning hunt, as well as cleaning up and doing a little hygiene and maintenance.  We focused on a promising looking area that only had one truck parked.  The drainage was down closer to the town and near a popular trout fishing stream.  We would explore that area tomorrow and reset the hunt.

 


In the dark of the morning we emerged refreshed and ready to hit the hunting hard again.  I would drop down the gully, cross the trout stream somehow, and circle around the Mountain headed for a bowl over the ridge.  Neil and Chris would go straight up the hill and head in opposing directions ultimately circling back to the road by noon.  Hopefully, we would see some sign.

I knew I had the short end of the stick as my side of the Mountain would be in the sun, but I was hopeful I could find some shady folds and that top bowl that may harbor unmolested elk.  I found my way across the creek on some slippery deadfall and made my way up across an interesting old canal that reminded me of a smaller version of the C&O canal and toe-path.  Maybe they used this to haul logs down the mountain? It was only a few inches deep now but I stopped to filter a drink as it was already getting hot. 

Making my way through a tangle of young aspen and old deadfall, the climb was slow and difficult.  I was trying to sneak as quiet as possible.  I kept hoping the trees would thin out or that I would cross some folds in the shade, but all was uniform as I crested the ridge.  I always make it a habit when I crest a ridge or a finger to be ready for a shot and go very slowly.  I was standing there taking in the sights and smells and feeling the cool breeze on my hot sweaty face, when I heard a twig snap!  Keeping frozen the animal stepped out 25 yards in front of me, no idea of my presence.  Yup, another deer.  Oh well, again I proved I was at least hunting effectively if I could just get into some elk.

The crest and bowl turned out no better than the climb up.  Sunny, hot, a tangle of deadfall and not much sign.  I had another encounter with 2 more deer within twenty-couple yards that I bumped from their beds, but hardly enough shade and comfort for elk.  I headed back down the mountain and refreshing myself at the truck decided to explore the opposing side of the valley in the shade as I waited for our meet up time.  I unloaded my daypack and only carried my lightweight camo top and quiver, pounded the rest of my PBR, and headed off onto the cool slope. 

A third of the way up I was greeted by a couple game trails crossing the slope, one of which had older elk poop and some tracks.  Above these I found several small grassy benches with well worn trails through them.  Now we were talking!  This area looked promising.  Running out of time, I dropped back to the truck and Neil and Chris both reported good looking sign, though neither saw any live elk.

Back at the camp for lunch we met up with Dave and Jeff who had come off the mountain and found the camp. 



We decided to let that promising area alone for a bit to cool off and explore other drainages that evening now that we could fan out with two vehicles.  Those hunts turned out uneventful with similar stories of no fresh sign and a few other hunters.  We made a plan to hit that promising area hard the next morning. All five of us would attack the hill from different directions.  We were optimistic we should get close to some elk, and we passed an enjoyable evening at camp telling stories and putting a couple PBR away each.  The stars out there are so clear, and we counted satellites going past until one by one we all crashed for the night.








No comments:

Post a Comment