Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

2022 Colorado Elk Odyssey - C4 EP4

The final evening was upon us.  In the morning we would pack up and drive to Denver.  Neil, Chris, and I decided to give it one last good try at the popular big meadow with the lake where we were told a week ago two bulls were seen at dusk battling it out on the far side of the water.  Jeff and Dave would hunt one last area they wanted to check out. 

Driving to the top of the drainage, we passed one lone campsite tucked away on the opposite side of the trail.  We parked and saw several well used old campfire rings nearby, some with toilet seated portable plywood privies still there.  The ring closest to the truck also had this skull which looked to me like the previous years kill as there was still some connective tissue on it in places.

 

 

Looking out over the hunting area, it was a grand view and appeared like classic elk territory.  It was the heat of the day and we had formulated our plan.  Chris would hunt the left side and sneak down to the woodline opposite the lake by dusk, Neil would go right up the middle skirting the lake and heading into the top meadow and set up an ambush inside the woodline there.  I would go similarly up the right side drainage and surround the area from the right. 

Chris bid us adieu and set out on the left as Neil and I were discussing our plans.  I glanced down into the valley and there was another hunter already ahead of us heading in toward where Neil was going to go.  He said, "Oh well, I'm going there anyway" and set off.   I took my sweet time trying not to break a sweat as I went across the open hot meadow and headed into the drainage for the final hunt.

 I wasn't feeling too optimistic, but I slowly worked my way up in elevation.  Nearing a top clearing, I thought the area looked pretty good as I passed a game trail that had an older looking elk track on it. I glanced up, looking for good ambush sites and noticed something white.  I got closer to reveal a white "bucket seat" that another hunter had used to watch the trail.  Disgusted, I backed out and traveled farther towards the lake area along the same trail to set up farther and came across a little island of trees that over-watched the trail - perfect.   Looking over, I see some dirtbag had left a huge wad of soiled toilet paper there.  Well, talk about scenting up an area!  Why can't folks learn to bury their crap in a hole.

I backtracked lower down the drainage to another game trail that was not as trafficked and set up an ambush.  I was physically beat, hot, and demoralized at this point.  I sat there reflecting about what we could have done differently.  We put in the effort and certainly hit the hunting hard.  I was longing for my memories of Idaho and cursing the tag caps that the DNR put in place there for non-resident OTC tags.  

After several hours I just decided to sneak back to the upper road and follow it back to the truck before it got too dark.  It was a bit farther than I thought, but made good time back there.  I was hoping Neil and Chris might have some luck.  

At the truck I grabbed a quick drink and headed back to the ledge overlooking the area to listen and glass before darkness fully fell.  The view was awe inspiring and peaceful and helped put my troubles in perspective.




Looking down at my feet something caught my eye.  I picked up a shiny disk and read the inscription.



Apparently, some deceased sportsmen from Wisconsin had his ashes spread here and it was likely one of his favorite places. This find really makes a person think!  Suddenly, the hunt seemed a bit more "productive'.

As I stood there, a older blue pickup truck with CO tags pulls up and a rather short fire plug shaped fellow emerged from the truck sporting jeans and suspenders.  He began talking on his phone loudly and I grimaced as he disturbed my "peace".    

As this was going on, Chris came down the road from the other direction and reported nothing seen as well.  Once done the phone conversation, the gentleman began to talk with us and his younger son emerged from the truck to join in.  He told us this was about the only place to get any cell phone reception up there.  He also asked if we saw any sign of bear as another hunter apparently killed a bull several days ago just over the ridge.  He told the other hunter did not recover the animal until two days later by following the vultures and took the head.  These guys came across the carcass and there was a large black bear feeding on it.  The son showed us a video.  We chatted awhile and the duo recounted that last year was the first year either of them killed an elk, when his son killed a cow.  The old man had hunted up there for 30 years until that point.  

Anyway, they wished us luck and we parted ways.  It was getting very dark now and Neil, who is usually the first one back at the truck, was not yet back.  Hmmm....maybe he got into something.  

We sat and chatted until it was pitch black and decided maybe he was taking much longer than he thought to get back to the truck via the top road which was his plan.  So we started down the road that direction so he would not have to walk so far.  About a mile later we spotted some lights coming across the meadow.  We waited as they approached, but before long a truck passes us and turns down a little access road towards the headlamps.  The truck and the three lights join up at yet another camp.  Sheesh!

Going back to the parking spot we found Neil there just starting to panic we left him.  He came up the opposite side.

That night around the campfire hunters enjoyed the time, the beer, and the conversation of like minded folks well into the night. Crashing in our bags the stars were amazing in the clear night sky.  We all passed quickly into exhausted deep slumber.

The next morning we headed out of the area and back to civilization.  Jeff recommended we stop at a little cafe he knew about for a big hot breakfast so that sounded splendid!  Packing up, we followed him to downtown Breckenridge!  Five stinky hunters spilled out of two trucks to the shock and awe of the resort towns bustling population of vegan and "granola crunchies".  After a fine breakfast we hit the local gift shops to purchase trinkets for our loved ones back home.  Jeff was particularly interested in the jewelry dealers as he left his wife on her birthday with a rotting racoon in his backyard (a long and sorted story).  I found a pair of earrings for my wife and a book and stuffed animal for my 9 year old son.  

After a quick stop at the trout fishing store we ended our hunt at a brewery with a few cold ones.  Was the trip a fun time? Sure was! 

Thanks for tagging along, there is always next year!   

 






No comments:

Post a Comment