Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2011

110311 evening hunt

I took off 1/2 day from work to sit in the fall woods Thursday afternoon.  Hoping for a chance to get some meat with the recurve and perhaps get an opportunity at a nice buck.  It was a balmy 65 degrees and I broke into a slight sweat as I walked across the meadow and climbed into my tree.  The fall colors were bright!  They had just harvested the hay.



I set up with the wind blowing uphill at a trail junction.  I dragged a scent rad with estrus scent across the lower edge of the meadow and past my stand.  I made a mock scrape and hung the rag above it about 15 yards from my tree in a good shooting position.

It was a very slow afternoon.  No deer, no squirrel, a slight breeze and sleepy feelings for me until about 5 O'clock.  Then I noticed the darn wind had shifted.  That mountain is so big I think it acts like the ones out west.  As soon as the sun stopped heating the lower part the wind sinks downhill. It was now blowing right toward my mock scrape.  So much for that set up.

Then around 5:30 something makes me look over my left shoulder and here comes a doe.  It looks to be an adult doe but not a giant.  It is coming right down toward me and should put it 15 yards broadside....perfect!  Right is this opening:


After a short pause, it flicks its tail and walks right where I had hoped.  I draw without it spotting me and hit my anchor....then I start to get nervous as I focus for a spot....I see a tree coming up fast and it is still walking....shortly it will cover the vital area....I panic and the bow goes off....about 2 feet high my arrow hits a large Chestnut oak....CHER-THUNK!



The deer bounds off and stops on the trail, about 5 yards past my mock scrape....it is a little obscured by leaves.  It is obviously spooked but keeps looking uphill. I then realize there are other deer behind me in the group....they are keeping it from running out of the country because they are not running. 

I slowly pull out another arrow...every noise sounding like a loudspeaker...the head from the hood of the quiver...the brush of the fletching against my arm....  I get another arrow nocked.  Now if it will just let me draw again.

It does and I lean forward to clear the branch.  I come to full draw....focus on a spot behind the leg....pull through.....and I see my yellow arrow go flying up and to the right as the deer jumps a few bounds and stops again...then moves back and forth.  The others have not fled so it is still nervously hanging around....eventually it runs back to the group in a wide circle, but never with its white flag up.....just puffed out and down.

I am frustrated!



At this point I just want to give up....it does not get much easier than that first shot! 

The group never ran away and kept me in the tree until it was getting so dark I worried I could be able to find my arrow.  I got down from the tree and saw them all run eventually; having made their way about 80 yards North West.

I finally found my arrow (not in the tree) when I was about to give up on it.  The shaft needed some straightening and the tip was bent slightly (eclipse), but otherwise in good shape after some new bleeders.  The Chestnut oak claimed a vintage Razorhead as I could not get it out without mangling the ferrule.

I must have hit high on the second shot as well and bounced off some rocks. 

Tough season for me so far....I need to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment