Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Tips on sitting still

I am getting a little tired of all the promotion of products camo, gear, blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, blah....so let's talk hunting for a while.


What are your tips for sitting still and seeing deer? 

Here are a few of mine:

- Use your peripheral vision. 

Do not move your head to look around, but move your eyes only.  This is a learned skill as we are accustomed to facing things we look at (people).  It is tough at first but try this.  Pin your head to your tree and see how much and how long you can just keep your head still and move only your eyes.  Amazing how often you "want" to turn your head.  If you do have to turn your head...dooo  iiiiiiit  slllllllloooooowwwllllly....super slow mo.  In  nature very few things move very very slowly like that.  You will be amazed at how much you can see without moving your head.

- Look 2 ways

Look for movement by trying to pic out details....a leaf, a twitch, a shadow...detail looking.   This is where most people stop.

The other way to "look" is broad.....fix your eyes on something distant but "look" at your peripheral for movement.  You will be amazed at what you can see to the sides movement wise.  Try to switch between these two methods often.

The other day I was walking out of the woods when "something made me look over my left shoulder into the open field"....here come 10 deer straight at me!  That "something" was movement in my peripheral...I could have easily ignored it!

- move but don't move

Especially this time of year.  It is cold and I have low BP.  I get cold quick.  To stay warm I am constantly moving my toes in my boots, my fingers in my pocket, and flexing various muscle groups to stay warm.....no one else would know though because all of these movements are not visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment