Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A friends friend and Historic archery - Howard Hill & Pope

Thought I would share some pics of two of Howard's bows: The gentleman said he got the bow directly from Craig Ekin. He has a handwritten letter from Craig about the bow. The name on the bow is "The Charm" so Howard must have liked this one! He does not know the draw weight of the bow but said, "it looks like a brute, with thick limbs.
"The second Hill bow I got directly off of Gene Wensel. I used to stay in close contact with Gene, but I kind of lost track of him, through his moves. I have a letter on his own letterhead talking about this bow, in his own handwriting. The tip was broken at one time, but you can't tell without close inspection. Except for a tiny pie shaped piece missing from the place where the tip broke off. It is either dugame (lemonwood) or lancewood backed with rawhide.It is a very early Hill bow, made in 1931 by Howard Hill while he lived in Florida. Legends Bert Grayson and John Schulz, who worked with Howard, assured Gene that it was legit. It is a BEAUTIFUL bow!!! It came from the collecting legend Bert Grayson Collection, who had it in his museum. He got it directly from Hill."
Here is the first Pope arrow: The first Pope arrow I got off of noted author- T.M. Hamilton, who got it off of noted artist- Remington Schuyler, who was a friend of Saxton Pope's. I've had it for over 20 years now. I have the packaging that I got it in, from Mr. Hamilton, with his handwriting on it.
The second Saxton Pope arrow, I also got off of Gene Wensel. Gene did a story on an identical arrow that he used to take a doe, in Traditional Bowhunter magazine. It was actually one he took to Africa, in 1926, I believe it was offhand. but never used. It is a work of art!!! Fletching is Goose feathers tied with Cat gut. It comes with a Broadhead, in beautiful condition. The only flaws are a slight flake off of the nock and a little spot in the fletching that was like that when I got it. The nocks are BONE reinforced. Also has a Gold crest put on it by Mr. Pope. It also has a number written on it. Don't know if Mr. Pope or someone else put this on, but I'd assume it was Mr. Pope. It is a real BEAUTY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment