Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

Sat. 11/17/12 morning

Brent and I headed to the farm to hunt some Saturday. Brent took his stand and climbed back in a chestnut oak at the back of the property in the Laurel bowl. I sat near the lower trail on the ground. I found some deadfall near some known fox squirrel trees and set up my stool. The deadfall made a really cool natural blind.
As the red sun came up Brent kept contacting me on his deer sightings. They kept just out of range as they traveled over the ridge into, and out of the laurel. Meanwhile, I was not seeing crap as it was too windy for even squirrel. I decided to see if I could push one of those deer Brent was seeing toward him. I slowly still hunted to the complete back of the property following the property boundaries. There is a lot more property back there then I suspected. I found a really good trail skirting the property line. Sandy has taken a toll back there and many groups of deadfall were across the trail. I jumped a bedded doe and fawn in one such deadfall. At about 20 yards they high tailed it toward Brent and I gave him a heads up on the radio. He saw them pass by out of range again up the hill. I proceeded to still hunt my way around the back side of the property until I could see Brent in his tree about 60 yards in front of me as I crested the rocky ridge. Then, all of the sudden that doe and fawn come trotting back down the hill! I took a knee and she actually skidded to a stop right down onto her belly and bedded about 35 yards in front of me. I did have a brief broadside shot before she went down, but now she was bedded and all I could see was her head between two tree trunks. Her fawn just milled about. I figured if I stayed hidden she may head either toward me closer for a shot, or go toward Brent who had heard her approach and was watching, with no clue I was there behind him. It would have been cool if I did have a shot and he could watch the action from there. I could imagine his surprise when an arrow would come out of nowhere and stick the doe he was watching 60 yards away. In any event, the doe rose and immediately headed directly away from us down the hill. Oh well. She had no clue we were there. Brent told me she had bedded down again about 100 yards to his front, so I decided to try to backtrack and put a sneak on her again. When I got there she was gone. It was starting to get warm at this point and all my running around in wool was not working. We decided to call it a day and I went home to do yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment