Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Opportunity to learn

I went out for half a day sit in my backyard yesterday to try and catch that big ol’buck I saw at breakfast the other morning. I only had a tall 6 point that was not wider than the ears come in out of range. Next time I sit back there, I may move back to his travel line and see. I learned an important travel route back there funneled by a down tree. Mike took off the day before for an all day sit and had a great hunt. He had a bunch of deer moving and got a really good chance at a mature buck. He will remember this hunt for a while. Here is his story: I made it to Jack's right at first light. I geared up and headed straight up the hill from his driveway. Just at the crest of the hill I spotted a healthy rub on a good sized tree.
The frost made the leaves damp and I was able to sneak quietly toward the back the property. I climbed up in my hang on and got ready for an action packed day! Around 7:15 I caught movement out ahead and saw a single deer headed down the hill at about 80yds. A few squirrels were active until about 8:30 then nothing...
I was spacing out at 11:00 when I thought I spotted some movement through the brown leaves on Beech tree. Sure enough a herd of six were heading up the hill at about 80yds. At 11:30 I caught movement in the same area as the previous herd. I was unable to get my glass up in time but I think it was a small buck.
Nothing at all for the rest of the afternoon... The steady cool breeze died down around 4:00 and the sun started getting low. A few squirrels started running around just about sunset and I was hoping one would offer a shot. Still no deer... I was just about to start packing it in when I heard movement behind me. I turned and saw a solo deer headed diagonally behind me. It was moving at a good pace down a trail. He made it down to my 5 o'clock then turned off the trail and headed directly towards me! As he stepped over a downed log he dipped his head and I saw his antlers were out to the tips of his ears...It's on! He took a few more steps towards me then froze and looked right in my direction. I was waiting for him to commit to a line so I could get setup. He was only 25 yds at this point and looked like he would come by on the right side of my tree. As he started moving again he turned hard down hill and was still closing the distance between us. I quickly moved my tether over to my left shoulder, grabbed my bow off the hook and readied for a shot. He stopped about 15yds at my 7o'clock. I was already drawing as he came to a stop and paused for a moment as I came to full draw to concentrated on hitting my anchor. I loosed the arrow and heard a rattling sound as he reacted? He didn't spook too bad and was slowly walking away after a few steps. I looked hard but couldn't see my arrow on the ground anywhere. The deer was definitely acting like he wasn't hit and continued over to the area where my cam is and then on down the hill. I decided to shoot another arrow at the spot where he was when I shot. I then noticed how difficult it was to aim for that spot while keeping my limb from hitting the stand. I shot and managed to find a nice rock which sent sparks flying:) I climbed down and went to check for my arrow. It was buried deep in the mud about three feet behind and directly in line with my second shot, fletchings clean as a whistle. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I guess it just wasn't meant to be... Could have caught my limb tip on the seat or support cable?... Could have not aimed low enough causing a high miss?...Did I fail to burn a spot before I loosed the arrow? Who knows but I wasn't tracking a deer!
With all the dues I'm paying I should soon have secured a lifetime membership to the happy hunting club! I pulled the card on my cam on the way out and guess who was on there... At least I have pics to haunt me if I never see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment