Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving weekend 2012

I had a busy Holiday season despite not traveling this year. Made the full blown Thanksgiving day meal and caught some kind of cold that day. I felt awful by the end of the day and I was worried Angela would get sick.
Friday I stayed home from work and tried to take it easy, but ended up cooking up a 15 pound batch of ground venison in to summer sausage with my smoker.
Saturday consisted of buying a new car, picked up the Honda CRV. Sunday Mike and I went out to check out the crowds at the R farm. We brought our bows. Only one truck was in the lot (Bear’s). Mike’s normal spot had a guy overlooking it in a ladder stand from the adjacent property. He backed out and hunted some thick stuff instead. I went behind the guy and walked to the back of the property. He was probably not too happy with me but, “oh well.” I set up in a deadfall there and the wind was howling! I saw another orange hat about 60 yards to my front, and after some time the person rose and I saw it was a gal. She was wearing blue jeans and had a walking stick with her Collie! Lying on the ground with only an orange hat during gun season at 6am?! My only guess was that she was the adjacent landowner and was attempting to catch hunters on her property illegal. I was behind her but she never saw me though. She walked back and forth a bunch of time below me almost to the point of hunter harassment, but eventually went down the hill toward the hardball road. About an hour later another hunter comes walking down the hill from our property and crosses into hers and walks down toward the road as well. Maybe this was the guy she was trying to catch? It was all very strange. The wind kept blowing so I decided to get up and walk back toward the truck. I saw several different fox squirrels and launched about 5 shots at them with no hits. Lost one arrow, broke one other, and lost the nock on a third. It was good fun though. Those squirrels are BIG! No deer seen. Once I got back to the house and warmed when up the wife informed me 4 deer were feeding in our landscaping….figures.

2 comments:

  1. No one told me of this wonderous summer sausage bounty! I have this feeling the Meat Fairy is going to be very good to me this year...

    ReplyDelete